Lately a few of my friends have asked me for recommendations on things to do in Iceland. Thought it would be great to post a list of suggested activities for all to see…
Rent a car and go to these places (be sure to bring those CD’s you bought at 12 Tonar):
- Blue Lagoon. Would recommend dropping by there right when you arrive – it’s 20 mins from the airport.
- Golden Circle – Golden circle includes: Þingvellir National Park, where the American and Eurasian tectonic plates are pulling apart at a rate of a few centimetres per year, Gullfoss waterfall, and hot spring Strokkur shoot a column of water up to 30 metres (98 ft.) into the air every 4-8 minutes. This can be done in a day trip from Reykjavik.
- Skaftafell National Park. Take a guided glacier hike or ice climb at Skaftafell National Park. On the way, stop in Vik, check out Selandjafoss waterfall and Dyrholaey Rock Arch.
- Landmannalaugar to hike the classic Laugavegur Trail. This place is so awesome it deserves it’s own post. I’ll get on that.
For more information:
– Check out the latest edition of the Lonely Planet Iceland – Published may 2013.
– Check out the adventure tours by Arctic Adventures. We booked through them and can highly recommend it.
– A note on traveling in Iceland. Book your accommodation first (June-Aug is high season and it can be hard to find accom). Then rent a car and leave your days free to explore the beautiful spots. I totally over-planned our Iceland vacation and regret it, I should have left more time free to explore.
For more ideas:
In addition, here’s a link to my top 20 photos from Iceland:
And here’s a video I made from Iceland:
Here’s IcelandAir’s Video of Iceland:
A note regarding iphones:
If you have an iPhone – buy the ProHDR app. I think it’s $2, it helps you take amazing landscape photos. All my photos were taken with an iPhone in Iceland.