This is going to sound odd, but I had my first thoughts of “what the f*** have I gotten myself into” last Wednesday during a speed session in -5ºC. I wasn’t wearing enough clothing and I was COLD during the whole session. So cold, in fact, that my body started diverting blood away from my legs and towards my core so I ended up with debilitating cramps in my calves.
Okay, no worries though. All I have to do is do a better job of layering and get myself some winter tights. Right? RIGHT? Hope so…
Tuesday: Strength train
Wednesday: Speed workout*
Thursday: rest day
Friday: Strength train
Saturday: rest day**
Sunday: strength train
* It was -5 during this workout and I learned that you need to layer up appropriately in order to stay warm in cold conditions. Both my calves cramped up during the last lap (45 minutes into the speed session).
** Have been fighting a sinus cold so deliberately did not do a long run this weekend. Also, I it has been around -5 and I didn’t have a chance to pick up winter tights.
Things that went well this week:
- Managed to get back into strength training!
Lessons Learned for Next Time:
- My sugoi long running tights are not warm enough to wear in below zero conditions.
- Managed to pick up a pair of Adidas women’s sequencials brushed long tights for sub zero conditions
- And for added protection from the wind, picked up a pair of Gore Women’s Air Windstopper Active Shell